Friday, July 24, 2020

Work

 

    Webster has a very compact and precise definition of the word “work”:  Activity in which one exerts strength or faculties to do or perform something; activity that a person engages in regularly to earn a livelihood.”

     I have found it interesting over the years that I have been in the “workforce” and especially now that I am among the “retired.”  Although in all honesty I must confess that I’m not exactly sure what retirement is, because it now seems that I am busier than I was when I had a full-time secular job.

     Whatever may be the case, when I think back to some of the individuals that I had the “pleasure” of working with I think some of them must have had the wrong definition in mind about their circumstances.

     I had individuals who would “work” (that is, exert strength or faculties to do or perform something) so hard trying their best to get out of the job assignment they were suppose to be doing!  If they had exerted only HALF the efforts they were doing, they could have gotten the job finished much sooner than the way things would work out!

     Then there were those who performed only the minimal amount of “work” just to get by without really having to do the job as it had been explained to them.  Just as one example: Many years ago, I ran a 7-11 convenience store.  This was at a time when the store was actually opened from 7 am to 11 pm.  I would open the store at seven and work until 5 pm when I had a part-time person come in to relieve me and close the store at 11 pm.

     Before I would leave in the evening, I would give this person a list of things I wanted to be done during their shift, i.e., restock the shelves from the storeroom, make sure they were straight, clean the floor, etc.

     Very often when I came in to open the store the next morning, I would see that not all the things had been done.  Upon inquiring later, I was told by my helper that “they didn’t have time to get that done because they were so busy!”

      I’m not sure if they thought I was stupid or what!  I could see from the register checkout report the business I was doing during my 10 hours of work and I knew what I still had time to do during that time.  I could also see from the report the business they had done in their 6 hours of work and what they were unable to get done.  It didn’t make any sense!

    There was more available time than they wanted to admit.  But, for some reason, they were not able to get these extra work assignments completed!  You have to wonder!

     But work has always been a “funny” thing.  If you really enjoy what you are doing it’s not really work.  You’ll also find that you have no problems getting everything done that needs to be done.  And you can get it done in the time that you have available. 

     So, to really have meaningful and enjoyable work, find something that you really enjoy doing FOR FREE and find out how you can get paid to do it!  Then your work no longer becomes work but merely another enjoyable activity for you to engage in each day.

     The problem is that we usually wind up having a job that we don’t really like, working for a person that doesn’t really appreciate what we do, and having to do it with people that we would rather not be around!  Then again, we’re only human!

QUOTE TO CONSIDER



THOUGHTFUL GEM

"When everyone does his/her share,
the workload becomes lighter
and more enjoyable."





No comments:

Post a Comment